This part-time course teaches the fundamentals of modern front-end web development.
It’s a highly structured course introducing key front-end web development processes, tools, concepts and techniques.
Learn how to code mobile-friendly, responsive websites from scratch, using HTML and CSS and the latest web development practices from industry experts.
Along the way learn about modern project processes, as well as the latest CSS layout techniques (such as CSS Grid and Flexbox), accessibility, and web performance
By the end of this course you will be able to build and host simple websites that work seamlessly across multiple devices.
Students will finish the course with the ability to:
- build and host simple websites built with the latest HTML and CSS
- take a design and turn it into a fully functioning web page using code
- understand the fundamentals of CSS layout, responsive web design, and cutting-edge methods like CSS Grid and Flexbox
- write semantic HTML
- have an understanding of accessibility and performance considerations
- understand to a functional level how the web, domains, DNS, servers and hosting work
- competently use the essential tools of a web developer – code editor, Photoshop, browser development tools, testing tools
Who this course is for
This is a part-time course teaching front-end development to a professional standard. It would suit anyone that has a strong interest in learning to code and is keen to find out what goes into making well built, beautiful websites with a focus on usability.
It could be the first step on the road to a new career in digital; or help to keep your skillset relevant for the evolving workplace of the future.
It might give you the technical knowledge to get your startup idea off the ground or enable you to work better with your developer team.
This course is ideal for:
- Career changes
- Project and account managers
- Beginner coders
- Back-end developers
This is by no means an exhaustive list.
Keir has been a long term mentor on our Coding Fellowship Bootcamp and has taught for us across many of our courses including the Fellowship, our UX course and this programme.
He is a highly experienced Front-End Web Developer who specialises in Pattern libraries and style guides. He divides his time between Bristol and wherever the snow is looking good.
There is a mandatory pre-course preparation to complete before starting the in-person sessions. The preparation is a mixture of online tutorials, reading and videos with the purpose of getting students in a position to make the most of their time on the programme.
- Week 1: Saturday 12th September 9:30 – 17:30 + Tuesday September 15th 18:30 – 21:30
- Week 2: Tuesday 22nd September 18:30 – 21:30
- Week 3: Tuesday 29th September 18:30 – 21:30
- Week 4: Saturday 3rd October 9:30 – 17:30 + Tuesday 6th October 18:30 – 21:30
- Week 5: Tuesday 13th October 18:30 – 21:30
- Week 6: Tuesday 20th October 18:30 – 21:30
Please note there will be challenges, further reading and projects to complete at home in-between the sessions.
You can attend our study clubs which are fortnightly on a Monday and do your homework with a tutor present.
Although the course is part-time, it is intensive and requires time and commitment to make the most of it.