Develop Me’s Coding Fellowship is an immersive, project-driven, 12 week Bootcamp course in web / software development. You’ll get to grips with all the technologies, tools, processes and skills you need to embark on a career as a web / software developer – whilst putting together a portfolio of real world project work and making some great contacts along the way.
There is a 4-6 week (50+ hours) part-time pre-course programme, completed in your own time online from home, that helps our students come fully prepared to make the most of the 12 weeks spent in the classroom. (Currently LIVE remote full day sessions)
All of this will put you in the perfect position to land a job as a junior developer straight from graduation. With a 98% hire rate we even help you make that transition by organising multiple interviews with our hiring partners.
Hear from some of our graduates and hiring partners discussing their experiences of the bootcamp and their new careers as developers.
Kick start your career in tech – learn to code in just 12 weeks on our coding bootcamp!
Industry-Ready, Delivered by Experts
Our immersive coding bootcamp equips students with a solid and well rounded skill base, enabling them to enter the industry immediately from graduation.
Full-stack: A Broad Foundation
With the tech industry advancing and changing at a rate of knots we think it’s crucial that our graduates have the tools and knowledge to enable them to adapt and evolve to keep up with the pace. For this reason our curriculum concentrates on full-stack web development with a focus on key concepts, computational thinking, best practice approaches to coding and the latest in industry tools and tech.
Soft Skills: Tooling, Team Work and Communication
Being a web developer is not just about writing code.
Our programme not only teaches the ins and outs of writing well structured, efficient and maintainable code to build websites, apps and software but also covers different project methodologies (agile vs. waterfall), testing approaches, User Experience and tooling (Git, Sass, Vagrant, Gulp). All of this will get our graduates ready to work in modern web teams using best practice approaches and tools.
Websites and apps need to work seamlessly on multiple devices – accordingly we teach the fundamentals of responsive web design & development from the outset, plus you’ll learn to build mobile apps using React native.
Back-end Concepts: PHP as a Base
On the back-end we teach PHP as our development language of choice. PHP is the most widely used programming language on the internet powering the largest proportion of websites across the web. It is a great option for beginners looking to learn the basic principles of programming and offers the perfect grounding to delve deeper into other languages in the future.
Systems: Frameworks and CMSs
Various MVC frameworks and CMSs are commonly used by industry – we teach the Laravel framework (which is becoming ever more popular) as well as the WordPress Content Management System (CMS).
Technologies and Techniques
- HTML5 + CSS3
- Turning designs into HTML+CSS templates
- Responsive layouts
- Grid systems (CSS Grid)
- User Experience fundamentals
- MVC principles
- Laravel framework
- Databases (MySQL)
- Server-side admin and command line skills
- Planning and prototyping
- Agile vs. waterfall methodologies
Week 1: Front-end web development
- HTML & CSS Beginnings
- CSS Layout: flexbox, CSS grid, responsive layout
- Design & Photoshop
- Building a portfolio site
- Pseudo elements, classes and complex selectors
- Web performance
Week 2: Front-end web development
- Project process
- Working on a real brief
- Grid systems
- Pattern libraries and style guides
- Bootstrap validator
- CSS Methodologies
- Fundamental Programming Concepts: types, variables (let, const, var), conditionals, loops
- Functions: function and =>, scope, recursive functions
- Arrays: basic array methods, array iterator methods (map, filter, reduce)
- Objects: object literals, object instances and classes, property destructuring
- What is the DOM?: the <script> tag, getting items in the DOM, traversal
- DOM Manipulation: finding out about elements, manipulating elements, creating, moving, and removing elements
- Events: event driven programming, event listeners
- Advanced Events: the event object and preventDefault, bubbling and delegation
Week 5: Authoring tools and processes – Git & GitHub, Gulp
- Ways of working collaboratively
- Git architecture and commands
- Best practice
- Working with branches
- Practice of Git workflows in teams
- Streamlining your workflow: using npm and gulp on projects
Week 6: Object-Orientated Programming with PHP
- PHP Syntax
- Classes in PHP
- Namespaces & Composer
Week 7: Server Side Programming with Laravel
- Basic Laravel
- Relational Data
Week 8: APIs with Laravel
- HTTP & RESTful APIs
- Advanced Relational Data
Week 9: UIs with React
- Controlled Components
- Lifting State
Week 10: Advanced React
- Prebuilt Components
- Higher Order Components
- Context API
- Progressive Web Apps
Week 11: State Management with Redux
- ReactRedux: State
- ReactRedux: Dispatch
- ReactRedux: Thunks
Week 12: Plan and build an app
With your fellow students you will imagine, plan and build an app in a week, with support from our instructors. Great to hone your skills and for a portfolio piece. It might even become a working prototype for a new startup business!
Not only will we teach you all the tech skills you’ll need to embark on your career as developer, we’ll also provide you with a whole heap of career support, advice and guidance along the way too.
This support will come in a variety of forms including:
- Junior developer job opportunities – We arrange for our graduates to interview for multiple active job opportunities with our UK based hiring partners. Check out what some of our hiring partners say about our bootcamp graduates. Please note, we will arrange multiple junior developer job interviews for everyone on a cohort, but subsequent placements cannot be guaranteed
- CV workshops & interview advice
- Career guidance and information on the possibilities and opportunities in the tech sector
- Development of a portfolio of project work
- Networking opportunities with both the UK tech community & employers
- Industry Mentor – we set you up with an experienced industry professional outside of the course for help and advice, and to increase your networks in the industry
- Help and support in applying for and securing your first role on graduation (and onwards for as long as you like)
The Coding Fellowship is a highly intensive programme (it’s called a coding bootcamp for a reason) which requires a big commitment from our students. In order to learn everything you need, to head straight into industry upon graduation, you will have to put a lot of time and effort in. We’ll do our bit and teach you everything you need to know and provide as much support as possible, but we’ll need you to do your bit too!
You can expect to be in a LIVE environment logged on from home, from 9 – 5:30 every weekday involved in a mix of lectures, workshops, challenges and project work.
Outside of the core hours you will need to spend extra time immersed in the world of web development. This might be working with your fellow students on further study activities; on your own at home practicing what you’ve learnt or working on projects; at evening events, industry meetups and hacks.
It will be an intense ride, but an extremely extremely rewarding one!
We promise it won’t all be hard work though. You’ll be surrounded by a group of likeminded students all going through the same experience. There will be A LOT of collaborative project work and plenty of opportunities for fun along the way. Bristol is an incredible city in the UK with a strong and very welcoming tech community. The digital tech concentration in the Bristol and Bath cluster is one of the highest in the UK (Technation). This means there are a huge amount of digital job opportunities here and a vibrant tech scene!
Our instructors are all specialists in their fields and actively work in industry as professional web developers, software engineers, designers and UXers.
This experience and continued participation in their respective sectors allow our instructors to remain up to date with their skills, and accordingly what they pass on to you remains current and highly relevant.
Years of industry experience means our bootcamp instructors have seen it all. Having them on hand is incredibly valuable for people just starting out in the coding careers.
Course fees are £9,500 inc. VAT
Upon acceptance of a place on the fellowship we require a non-refundable deposit of £500 to secure your place on the course.
Need some help funding your bootcamp fees?
Funding is available to DevelopMe students via two of our finance partners (for eligible applicants).
Lendwise offer sensible and fair loans at a competitive rate, designed with the student in mind:
- Borrow up to £10,000 for up to 10 years
- Fixed interest rate for the term of your loan
- Representative APR of 9.1% (each interest rate is specific to an individual and your interest may differ)
- No early repayment penalties
- No guarantor or co-signor required
Future Finance offer student loans, where you can take a loan to cover course fees as well as living expenses whilst on the bootcamp – with flexible, long-term repayment options.