Develop Me’s Coding Fellowship is an immersive, project-driven, 12 week course in web development. You’ll get to grips with all the technologies, tools, processes and skills you need to embark on a career as a web developer – whilst putting together a portfolio of real world project work and making some great contacts along the way.
All of this will put you in the perfect position to land a job as a junior developer straight from graduation. We’ll even help you make that transition and organise multiple interviews with our hiring partners.
Hear from some of our graduates and hiring partners discussing placements and subsequent full-time roles as junior web developers.
Kick start your career in tech – learn to code in just 12 weeks on our coding bootcamp!
Industry-Ready, Delivered by Experts
Our immersive coding bootcamp equips students with a solid and well rounded skill base, enabling them to enter the industry immediately from graduation.
Full-stack: A Broad Foundation
With the tech industry advancing and changing at a rate of knots we think it’s crucial that our graduates have the tools and knowledge to enable them to adapt and evolve to keep up with the pace. For this reason our curriculum concentrates on full-stack web development with a focus on key concepts, computational thinking, best practice approaches to coding and the latest in industry tools and tech.
Soft Skills: Tooling and Team Work
Being a web developer is not just about writing code.
Our programme not only teaches the ins and outs of writing well structured, efficient and maintainable code to build websites, apps and software but also covers different project methodologies (agile vs. waterfall), testing approaches, User Experience and tooling (Git, Sass, Vagrant, Gulp). All of this will get our graduates ready to work in modern web teams using best practice approaches and tools.
Websites and apps need to work seamlessly on multiple devices – accordingly we teach the fundamentals of responsive web design & development from the outset, plus you’ll learn to build mobile apps using React native.
Back-end Concepts: PHP as a Base
On the back-end we teach PHP as our development language of choice. PHP is the most widely used programming language on the internet powering the largest proportion of websites across the web. It is a great option for beginners looking to learn the basic principles of programming and offers the perfect grounding to delve deeper into other languages in the future.
Systems: Frameworks and CMSs
Various MVC frameworks and CMS are commonly used by industry – we teach the Laravel framework (which is becoming ever more popular) as well as WordPress and Drupal 8 CMS’s.
As part of the programme we create the opportunity for all students to interview for 3 month long, paid, web developer internships with our partner companies here in the UK.
These internships are the perfect way to bolster everything you’ve learnt on the coding bootcamp, and usually lead to offers of permanent employment (to date 96% of internships have led to offers of further work).
Technologies and Techniques
- HTML5 + CSS3
- Turning designs into HTML+CSS templates
- Responsive layouts
- Bootstrap templating
- Grid systems (Flexbox, CSS Grid)
- User Experience fundamentals
- MVC principles
- Laravel framework
- Server-side admin and command line skills
- Planning and prototyping
- Agile vs. waterfall methodologies
- Drupal 8
Week 1: Front-end web development
- HTML & CSS Beginnings
- CSS Layout: flexbox, CSS grid, responsive layout
- Design & Photoshop
- Building a portfolio site
- Pseudo elements, classes and complex selectors
- Web performance
Week 2: Front-end web development
- Project process
- Working on a real brief
- Grid systems
- Pattern libraries and style guides
- Bootstrap validator
- CSS Methodologies
- Fundamental Programming Concepts: types, variables (let, const, var), conditionals, loops
- Functions: function and =>, scope, recursive functions
- Arrays: basic array methods, array iterator methods (map, filter, reduce)
- Objects: object literals, object instances and classes, property destructuring
- What is the DOM?: the <script> tag, getting items in the DOM, traversal
- DOM Manipulation: finding out about elements, manipulating elements, creating, moving, and removing elements
- Events: event driven programming, event listeners
- Advanced Events: the event object and preventDefault, bubbling and delegation
Week 5: Authoring tools and processes – Git & GitHub, Gulp
- Ways of working collaboratively
- Git architecture and commands
- Best practice
- Working with branches
- Practice of Git workflows in teams
- Streamlining your workflow: using npm and gulp on projects
Week 6: Programming Languages – PHP
- Web servers and the LAMP stack
- Vagrant & virtual machines
- PHP variables, strings and integers, logical operators, arrays, loops, functions, objects
- data and forms: $_POST, $_GET
- using PHP arrays and objects
- sessions and cookies
- databases, queries and transactions
- building a registration and member login system
Week 7: WordPress
- Introducing CMSs
- WordPress architecture and installation
- Introduction to admin panel
- Introduction to installing plugins
- Introduction to installing themes
- Child themes, how to setup
- Template use rules
- Hooks and filters
- Menus and menu locations
- Custom Post Types
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Custom Post Type single.php and archive.php templates
- The Loop and custom queries
- Going live: migrating a WordPress website and content
Week 8: APIs with Laravel
- Advanced PHP: classes, namespaces, and composer
- Object-Oriented PHP: encapsulation, interfaces, and messages
- APIs: HTTP and RESTful APIs, Postman
- Laravel: routing, Eloquent models, controllers, request validation, responses
Week 9: UIs with React
- JSX: stateless components, using CSS, className
- Props: children props, default props
- State: state, Class components
- Forms: controlled components
- Advanced State: Lifting state
- React Router
Week 10: Web apps on mobile – React Native
- Introduction to React Native
- Setting up development environment
- UI components and styling
- List/Detail pattern
- Debugging techniques
- Integration with Redux
- Fetching data from a remote API
Week 11: State Management with Redux
- Basic Redux: state, actions, reducers
- React-Redux: connect, mapStateToProps, mapDispatchToProps
- Using APIs: Thunks
Week 12: Plan and build an app
With your fellow students you will imagine, plan and build an app in a week, with support from our instructors. Great to hone your skills and for a portfolio piece. It might even become a working prototype for a new startup business!
Not only will we teach you all the tech skills you’ll need to embark on your career as developer, we’ll also provide you with a whole heap of career support, advice and guidance along the way too.
This support will come in a variety of forms including:
- Junior developer job opportunities – We arrange for our graduates to interview for multiple active job opportunities with our UK based hiring partners. Check out what some of our hiring partners say about our bootcamp graduates. Please note, we will arrange multiple junior developer job interviews for everyone on a cohort, but subsequent placements cannot be guaranteed
- CV workshops & interview advice
- Career guidance and information on the possibilities and opportunities in the tech sector
- Development of a portfolio of project work
- Networking opportunities with both the UK tech community & employers
- Industry Mentor – we set you up with an experienced industry professional outside of the course for help and advice, and to increase your networks in the industry
- Help and support in applying for and securing your first role on graduation (and onwards for as long as you like)
The Coding Fellowship is a highly intensive programme (it’s called a coding bootcamp for a reason) which requires a big commitment from our students. In order to learn everything you need, to head straight into industry upon graduation, you will have to put a lot of time and effort in. We’ll do our bit and teach you everything you need to know and provide as much support as possible, but we’ll need you to do your bit too!
You can expect to be onsite at our space in Bristol, UK from 9 – 5:30 every weekday involved in a mix of lectures, workshops, challenges and project work.
Outside of the core hours you will need to spend extra time immersed in the world of web development. This might be working with your fellow students on further study activities; on your own at home practicing what you’ve learnt or working on projects; at evening events, industry meetups and hacks.
It will be an intense ride, but an extremely extremely rewarding one!
We promise it won’t all be hard work though. You’ll be surrounded by a group of likeminded students all going through the same experience. There will be A LOT of collaborative project work and plenty of opportunities for fun along the way. Bristol is an incredible city in the UK with a strong and very welcoming tech community. The digital tech concentration in the Bristol and Bath cluster is one of the highest in the UK (Technation). This means there are a huge amount of digital job opportunities here and a vibrant tech scene!
Our instructors are all specialists in their fields and actively work in industry as professional web developers, software engineers, designers and UXers.
This experience and continued participation in their respective sectors allow our instructors to remain up to date with their skills, and accordingly what they pass on to you remains current and highly relevant.
Years of industry experience means our bootcamp instructors have seen it all. Having them on hand is incredibly valuable for people just starting out in the coding careers.
Course fees are £7,995 inc. VAT
Upon acceptance of a place on the fellowship we require a non-refundable deposit of £500 to secure your place on the course.
Need some help funding your bootcamp fees?
Professional and Career Development Loans
We are on the learning provider register for PCDL. You can find out all you need to know over at the gov uk page for Professional and Career Development Loans. Our learning provider number is – 21601